Project Status

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:15 PM
This looks like a promising project. We are starting to look at the Presenter First pattern and will most likely make use of it. This looks like a great utility but I am wondering what the current status of the project is. Will it achieve M2 or (preferrably) M3 in the near future?

--- Thanks, Jeff
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2008 at 1:45 AM
Edited Mar 28, 2008 at 1:59 AM
Thanks very much for the interest. I am working on the next milestones, though I will probably end up delivering M3 (the C# code gen templates) before M2. The code in the current release is certainly usable--you just have to provide your own installer and code gen templates. The templates I write for M2 and M3 will probably be just starting points anyway, even though they will be completely functional. Anyone who wants to use the tool will very likely want to customize the generated code by changing the templates or writing their own from the ground up. As a simple modeling tool this project may be useful as-is, but I would be surprised if anyone uses it for code generation without applying some level of customization.

I expect to finish M3 by mid-April 2008.

Please send me a note if you want to contribute anything to this project.

One more thought: we've been using presenter first for about 8 months at my office. Our implementation is slightly different from what they use at Atomic Object, mainly because we use a dynamic code generation approach. I would love to hear about your experience with it, the problems you have experienced, and how you solved them.

Brooke
Mar 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM
Brooke,

Thanks for the feedback. We would actually prefer to have M3 first because we're using C# as well :-)

I have not had any experience with creating DSLs for Visual Studio but this looks like it might be a great project to get started with. I'll definitely give it a closer look over the next few days to see what I can figure out.

We've just now started looking at the Presenter First pattern and still have a lot to learn. One thing we do know at this stage, however, is that there is definitely more coding involved because of all the interface, mocks, and the presenter class. That's why we would love to be able to make use of a tool like this to alleviate some of that "pain".

--- Thanks, Jeff
Developer
May 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM
Edited May 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM
Brooke,
Thanks for opening this project! I'm sold on the Presenter First Pattern and I see this DSL as solving the single biggest challenge to adoption of PF (that challenge being the volume of code needed to support the triads outlined by the pattern). I've just started looking into the DSL and Text Template stuff in VS2008 and would be keen to help out on some development tasks if that's needed, but I may require a little ramp up time before I'm very effective.

Any status update on C# code generation efforts?

- JD
Coordinator
May 16, 2008 at 2:02 AM

Thanks for the offer to help!  I will add you to the project.

I'm still working on the C# template.  The template isn't very complicated--the issue is finding time to finish it!  I've also got a template that generates a PowerShell installer as an alternative to the MSI installer, so I'll add that too.

Brooke